“We are growing a heritage of gardeners by nurturing minds, bodies, and community.”
About Heritage Gardens
From its humble beginning, at a joint meeting held at Broadwater Conservation District in December of 2010, Heritage Gardens has evolved from a noteworthy summer school outreach program into a THRIVING gardening experience! Heritage Gardens continues to cultivate our Townsend Community and opens its arms to all ages and abilities with programs that include, educational classes, plot rentals, food pantry produce, monster sunflower adventures, and community events such as Fall Fest! We are always welcoming new members, so come on by and JOIN THE FUN! (Click the Contact info below to be redirected to our website)
Board Coordinator- Open Position
Garden Manager- Open Position
Secretary- Melissa Hayes
Treasurer- Kari Hagbom
Public Outreach- Denise Thompson
Education Coordinator- Open Position
Pumpkin Patch Coordinator- Tim Peterson
How can You Get involved?
- Rent your own garden (4′ x 20′ plot for $15; special rate for additional plots)
- Volunteer to help with general garden work:
- The Food Pantry Garden
- Educational Gardens
- Pumpkin Patch
- Wyse Gardens
- Asparagus & Strawberry Gardens
- Herb and Native Plant Gardens
- Children’s Garden
- Water System Improvements
- Plan a Special Event, Serve on the Board, & Share your ideas!
- Construction of Wyse Gardens continued for people who have mobility challenges. Renters had 3 successful raised beds.
- Pumpkin Patch was completed thanks to Tim Peterson and a St. Peter’s Hospital grant. Fall Fest and youth enjoyed the pumpkins!
- Children’s Garden: A fun edible garden was created for kids to enjoy and learn!
- 6th Grade Conservation Field Day was a HUGE success with nearly 60 sixth grade students building a picket fence, planting the Children’s Garden, prepping beds, making plant markers and learning about gardening.
- Food Pantry Gardens were planted, tended, and harvested to supply produce to the Food Pantry.
- Heather Nack Culbreth taught 6 classes and Christ Hettinger taught one class about medicinal, culinary herb gardens.
- Provided produce decorations and helped with the clean up of Fall Fest!
- Assisted Townsend Schools with Wyse Acres Garden and received a DNRC 223 Grant!
2016 Goals & Events
Upcoming Events for 2016 can be found on our Calender Page.